POT5 Potassium Hydroxide Flake (KoH)
- More Info
- Product Data
- Quick Postage Guide
POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE FLAKE (KOH) - excellent for the production of Biodiesel, soapmaking and other uses.
It is a chemical compound with formula KOH . Pure potassium hydroxide forms white, deliquescent crystals. For commercial and laboratory use it is usually in the form of white pellets. A strong base, it dissolves readily in water, giving off much heat and forming a strongly alkaline, caustic solution .
Available in all quantities and pack sizes - Please see options below:
The chemical compound potassium hydroxide , is a metallic base . It is very alkaline and is a "strong base", along with sodium hydroxide , lithium hydroxide , calcium hydroxide , barium hydroxide and strontium hydroxide .
A toxic and highly corrosive chemical used to make soap, in bleaching, and as a paint remover. . Pure potassium hydroxide forms white, deliquescent crystals. For commercial and laboratory use it is usually in the form of white pellets. A strong base, it dissolves readily in water, giving off much heat and forming a strongly alkaline, caustic solution . It is commonly called caustic potash. It closely resembles sodium hydroxide in its chemical properties and has similar uses, e.g., in making soap, in bleaching, and in manufacturing chemicals, but is less widely used because of its higher cost. It is prepared chiefly by electrolysis of potassium chloride; commercial grades of it sometimes contain the chloride as well as other impurities.
A compound composed of one potassium cation and one hydroxide anion. It occurs as white, deliquescent crystals in a variety of forms, such as lumps, pellets, or flakes. It is toxic if ingested or inhaled, is a strong caustic, and will corrode tissue.
Uses of Potassium Hydroxide
- In agriculture , potassium hydroxide is used to correct the pH of acidic soils. It can also be used as a fungicide or even an herbicide .
- As an alternative to Caustic Soda in the production of biodiesel.
- It is a major industrial chemical used as a base in a wide variety of chemical processes. Some uses of KOH include acrylate ester copolymer coating, defoaming agents used in the manufacture of paper , saponifying oils for liquid soap, formulation aid for food, pH control agent, polyethylene resins, textile processing and as a catalyst in reactions like the production of biodiesel .
- Other uses include in veterinary medicine in disbudding calves horns and to dissolve scales and hair; in human medicine , to diagnose fungal infections and as a wart and cuticle solvent; manufacture of cleansers. This type of compound is also used in washing powders, some denture cleaners, non- phosphate detergents , and drain or pipe cleaners.
- A very significant use of KOH in terms of significance to the layperson is that alkaline batteries use an aqueous solution of KOH as an electrolyte. Thus, potassium hydroxide helps to power flashlights, smoke detectors, and other battery-powered household items.It is also an anisotropic etchant of silicon , exposing octahedral planes. This technique can create pyramids and regularly-shaped etch pits for uses such as microelectromechanical systems.
|Product Type||Shipping Cost||Details|
|UK Mainland - Non Hazardous Package||£8.00||Delivery to mainland UK only - Up to 25kg on Non Hazardous Products|
|UK Mainland - Hazardous Package||£9.50 to £12.00
Delivery to mainland UK only - Up to 25kg on Hazardous Products. Prices From £9.50-£12 (area dependant) Click Here For Chart
|UK Mainland - Non Hazardous Pallet||£35.00||
Delivery to mainland UK only - Up to 1000 kg on Non Hazardous Products (1000 Litre IBC's, 205 litre Drums, 32 x 25 Litre etc)
|UK Mainland - Hazardous Pallet||
Delivery to mainland UK only - Up to 1000 kg on Hazardous Products (1000 Litre IBC's, 205 litre Drums, 32 x 25 Litre etc) -Prices From £24 -£70 (area dependant) Click Here For Chart
Non Hazardous Shipping Rates For Most European Destinations
|PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU LEAVE A VALID CONTACT NUMBER (PRFERERABLY MOBILE) WHEN PLACING AN ORDER - REDELIVERY CHARGES MAY APPLY AFTER ANY FAILED ATTEMPTS|